Science Forums

Architecture in Melbourne

minna

I guess I will follow the theme.

Royal Exhibition Building:

One of the oldest remaining exhibition pavilions.

Melbourne Cricket Ground:

Annual gathering place for AFL fnantics.;)

Flinder Street Station:

The main station for inner Melbourne trains

NAB Docklands

Giant lego block...actually Docklands in general is fairly strange. Wonderful place to photograph but pretty bad place to live in. Unless of course you like concrete and glass.

State Library of Victoria

The front lawn is the gathering place for many public protests.

Melbourne Central (Interior)

A building within a building I suppose. Used to be a shot tower in the old days. When they decided to build the new melbourne central building, instead of demolishing it, they decided to keep it by building the new building around it. It is now home to a few retail shops.

Luna Park

The entrance to Melbourne's only amusement park. I've always found it pretty creepy.

LOL post up some photos of architecture in Oslo and let us be the judge!

Some 'unconventional' architecture

RMIT (University) Storey Hall Exterior:

Ian Potter Museum of Art Exterior (University of Melbourne):

Federation Square:

Looking more and more like a patch-work quilt...

Melbourne Museum:

Rubix cube :eek:

Docklands (unknown building):

I love this one!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At Serendipity Image we love Fed Square for its textural variety, fabulous detailing, easy in and out cafes, lighting, proximity to the Yarra, Chapter House, Clocks, Hosiers .. all top wedding sites. It works so well, particular in near and mid shots with so many possibilities for layered and transparent surrounds for the wedding couple an amazing versatile photography location. Hope to post some of my melbourne images soon.....

Hey guys, Fed Square is right in centre of Melbourne, Melbourne is beautiful! Here is a Serendipity image to contribute to my side of the perpetual Melbourne/Sydney media scrum.

From a fly in-fly out tourist photography opportunity angle Sydney may well win. Images of the Harbour certainly beat Melbourne Yarra river images.... (or swimming in it ...); but for livability Melbourne any time. There is quiet pleasure in a St Kilda breakfast, in the transient faces imaged in the flickering panes of Melbourne tram windows, in the lushness of a Brunetti chocolate cake. It's so easy make abstract images from places like the Melbourne Museum, the Melbourne Exhibition centre ... the lines and shapes flow through me in my imagining my place; gritty, sharp, classic or finely detailed; from the Marvelous Melbourne 1880's boom style to Jeff's blue strip lighting underpinning the image of the CBD towers as seen across the river, Melbourne has been mostly been made with care. I'll try and make another abstract composite image soon ..

now lets hear it for Sydney....