Science Forums

SuperSoldier Serum?

JulianKeller

Hi

I have my own theories of how to make a Super Soldier and the Hulk, please help me iron them out. Thank you :hihi:

Super Soldier Serum Hypothesis

I theorize to combine the chemicals that trigger anger, emotional detachment for intuitive pattern solving, the ability people have to 'slow time down' when it counts, and a little something to help the reflexes and inject them into a person for a while, while they have it in their system become the ultimate Supersoldier.

Hulk Hypothesis

Same thing except add adrenaline hormones so it triggers the Adrenal response and the General Adaption thing an also some green florescent protein with a hell of a lot of caffeine into the system.

I'm wondering how plausible this is because I flunked science in high school and didn't go to college. An is there a possible better answer (I know there has to be and that's what I'm fishing for) Better ways to create a supersoldier through possible genetic recombinant biotech and hell make him green and glowy too.

Sure, you could make a serum out of things like adrenaline, testosterone, caffeine, etc. It would certainly boost the soldier's alertness/reaction time/endurance/etc., but it would not make them "super".

In the fictional movie "Jacob's Ladder", a platoon in Vietnam is administered a drug that causes them to go berserk. Unfortunately, they were so raving mad that they began to kill each other. Those that survived were haunted with flashbacks their whole lives. The reason I bring this up is to illustrate how boosting people's abilities, whether through serums or genetics, can have unforeseen, and sometimes tragic, consequences. I would certainly be wary of taking a "super serum", wouldn't you?

A serum should only be taken once, no? Safe to say it would best be a biological agent, perhapse one or many engineered retrovirus' without the ability to create a new vireal sheath to reinfect other cells. (or alternately, don't and make it an ST"D")

something(s) designed to slide in and manipulate the human equivalents of the genes isolated in these experiments:

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/3820-miracle-mouse-can-regrow-organs.html

"SCIENTISTS have created a “miracle mouse” that can regenerate amputated limbs or badly damaged organs, making it able to recover from injuries that would kill or permanently disable normal animals."

http://hypography.com/forums/news-brief/13258-genetically-engineered-super-mouse-stuns-scientists.html

" The mouse can run up to six kilometres at a speed of 20 metres per minute for five hours or more without stopping,"

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science-news/13285-mighty-mice-made-mightier.html

"these muscular mice averaged a 117 percent increase in muscle fiber size and a 73 percent increase in total muscle fibers compared to normal mice." (seriously, look at the picture!)

They Have isolated the human genes for this last one atleast, the others I'm not so shure. weather they could breed a viri to target those specific parts for dislocation with modern research is another matter.

I'd like to see what the decendants of these 3 lines intermixed would be like!

For comic fan appeal, this would be more akin to the Greay Hulk: That much densely packed muscle offers a certain armor of it's own, but combined with regenerative capabilities, an allbut decapitated person has a chance to recover.

• 2 weeks later...

Hormones, including adrenaline and testosterone, though they clearly alter mood and metabolic functions, are constituents of the endocrine system which has the function of regulating homeostasis. As a result the hormones would cause both a feedback inhibition in the structures which naturally produce them as well as cause an increase production of antagonist hormones such as estrogen. The effects would thus be short lived and would probably result in undesirable side effects.

The introduction of a virus carrying specific genes is a very interesting alternative and would definently be permanent. The idea of embedding or proliferating new genes into humans via transduction is appears promising. That being said, it would need to be done cautiously due to potential dangers. Introduced genes that are not initially part of the genome can be repressed by pre-transcriptional editing mechanisms or RNA inhibition. If they do managed to be expressed, there is the possibility of mutating into an oncogene, which would not be good. Also steps would need to be taken to assure that the retrovirus becomes endogenous after infection, preventing further infection or a potential immune response.

If these genes are coming from humans, and are already in a given genome, why not take advantage of transposons and proliferate the target genes throughout the genome without introducing anything new? By the same line of thinking, couldn't one just inhibit sequences that encode for factors which inhibit the target genes, resulting in increased expression?

A serum should only be taken once, no? Safe to say it would best be a biological agent, perhapse one or many engineered retrovirus' without the ability to create a new vireal sheath to reinfect other cells. (or alternately, don't and make it an ST"D")

something(s) designed to slide in and manipulate the human equivalents of the genes isolated in these experiments:

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/3820-miracle-mouse-can-regrow-organs.html

"SCIENTISTS have created a “miracle mouse” that can regenerate amputated limbs or badly damaged organs, making it able to recover from injuries that would kill or permanently disable normal animals."

http://hypography.com/forums/news-brief/13258-genetically-engineered-super-mouse-stuns-scientists.html

" The mouse can run up to six kilometres at a speed of 20 metres per minute for five hours or more without stopping,"

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science-news/13285-mighty-mice-made-mightier.html

"these muscular mice averaged a 117 percent increase in muscle fiber size and a 73 percent increase in total muscle fibers compared to normal mice." (seriously, look at the picture!)

They Have isolated the human genes for this last one atleast, the others I'm not so shure. weather they could breed a viri to target those specific parts for dislocation with modern research is another matter.

I'd like to see what the decendants of these 3 lines intermixed would be like!

For comic fan appeal, this would be more akin to the Greay Hulk: That much densely packed muscle offers a certain armor of it's own, but combined with regenerative capabilities, an allbut decapitated person has a chance to recover.

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY! That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!

If these genes are coming from humans, and are already in a given genome, why not take advantage of transposons and proliferate the target genes throughout the genome without introducing anything new?

explain?

The human genome is a massive dynamic system where contituents are constantly integrating, excising, and transporting across chromosomes. If these genes exist already in the genome then they have the ability to proliferate through transposition as a mechanism to increase their expression rate. They act as a micro-ecosystem. If they are retroviral in origin they will likely move via retro-transposition but there are other mechanisms if they are not. That being said, there should be a way to stimulate a particular gene to transpose itself to multiple transcription sites. This would result in increased expression of the said gene and the desired effects without introducing any new genes via vectors. All that would be required is chemical stimulation

there should be a way to stimulate a particular gene to transpose itself to multiple transcription sites. This would result in increased expression of the said gene and the desired effects without introducing any new genes via vectors. All that would be required is chemical stimulation

I think that you are saying, (I'm repeating my understanding in my words), that there is possibly a way to turn on the genes for increased muscle mass and metabolic efficiency creating the perfect human specimen right?

If this is true then how would it be done?

This is from an article somewhere online I read

Phyllomedusa bicolor (common names: Giant Monkey Frog; Sapo Mono; Kambo)is a large green noctural frog that lives in the trees of the Peruvian and Brazilian Amazon. Adult frogs secrete a material which is used by the native Mayoruna indians primarily as a hunting aid. The secretion is introduced into the blood stream through small breaks in the skin, after which the active(psychedelic in nature of overall effect) peptides contained in the secretion produce an increase in strength, heightened senses, and resistance to hunger and thirst.

Is there a way to take just the chemicals which enhance strength, senses, resistance to hunger and thirst and make them into a serum which the body reproduces regularly making an increased in strength, heightened sensed, more durable human being?

from another article online.

Mice given resveratrol, a minor component of red wine and other foods, run twice as far on treadmills before collapsing from exhaustion. Normal, non-drugged, abused lab mice run about a kilometer before they collapse from exhaustion. Mice on resveratrol also have reduced heart rates and energy-charged muscles. Resveratrol also expands the lifespan of mice by 30 percent.

Dr. Johan Auwerx, from the Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Biology in Illkrich, France says that that "Resveratrol makes you look like a trained athlete without the training."

The good doctor also adds that he found that the muscle fibers in the mice had been remodeled by the drug into the type more prevalent in trained human athletes.

Is it possible that if a person regularly took this resveratrol their body would begin to produce it naturally so they could have the benefits of the drug all the time?

Is it possible to somehow "Load Up" a human's system with this drug and over days/weeks/months have them become the peak of human perfection and then have some theoretical way of maintaining it without taking doses of the drug?

Mice given resveratrol, a minor component of red wine and other foods, run twice as far on treadmills before collapsing from exhaustion. Normal, non-drugged, abused lab mice run about a kilometer before they collapse from exhaustion. Mice on resveratrol also have reduced heart rates and energy-charged muscles. Resveratrol also expands the lifespan of mice by 30 percent.

Dr. Johan Auwerx, from the Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Biology in Illkrich, France says that that "Resveratrol makes you look like a trained athlete without the training."

The good doctor also adds that he found that the muscle fibers in the mice had been remodeled by the drug into the type more prevalent in trained human athletes.

I keep hearing all these great things about "Resveratrol" Is it available on the market yet? If so where would i find it? Is a prescription? Can it be prescribed? Fat old men want to know!:shrug:

Loading the body with chemicals that it cannot produce naturally may seem initially promsing but is in fact very dangerous. This is due to the fact that the body cannot regulate chemical levels to achieve homeostasis. This is especially concerning when you consider that resveratrol functions by manipulating blood sugar levels. This could cause unhealthy fluctuations in pancreatic hormones as the body tries to achieve homeostasis. Long term implications could be dependancy or diabetes.

In response to JulianKeller,

Transposing a certain gene is not the same as enhancing it or adding the chemicals it produces. Rather it causes the genes to copy itself and spread to various locations on a given chromosome, increasing its transcription rate and thus its expression.

In response to JulianKeller,

Transposing a certain gene is not the same as enhancing it or adding the chemicals it produces. Rather it causes the genes to copy itself and spread to various locations on a given chromosome, increasing its transcription rate and thus its expression.

Then would it be possible to engineer a gene which would express itself as creating the chemicals that Resvertrol introduces to the body and then introduce it into a person's system so that it replenishes the person with that resvertrol all the time so they would theoretically be in peak human health?

breakdown of what I said

make gene that tells something inside of us to make the chemicals of resvertrol.

implant gene into a possibly adult human and watch the effect of them becoming an athletic human, longer lived, etc

• 1 year later...

"Gene doping" will be in our future. I don't think it could create something super-human but pushing the limits of genetic potential.

i wonder if someone with naturally better genes than the average person dopes will they have better results than an average person? If not then everyone would be on the same playing field and sports would be really boring!

Steroids do this now but people can have better genetics for them. It can really give a guy with shitty genetics a kick in the pants though.

If you are interested, Trenbolone Acetate (not from personal experience) would probably be considered the most super of the steroids compared to the standard, testosterone esters. A fascinating compound, it has been called "Divorce in a Bottle", due to possibility of aggression. For the most part "roid rage" is a myth but I would imagine that if you got so jacked up, one's reactions might be hard to control.

These drugs already exist. They are called "steroids". All we have to do is solve the shrinking testicle problem, then I'm sure they will be much more widespread.

Solution is Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG), if problem arises, followed by a Post Cycle Therapy of SERMs (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators) such as tamoxifen citrate.

Welcome to hypography, BGally, and thanks for resurrecting this old thread.

i wonder if someone with naturally better genes than the average person [gene] dopes will they have better results than an average person? If not then everyone would be on the same playing field and sports would be really boring!

For anything I can imagine being feasible in the near future, I believe the answer is yes.

Just as present-day performance enhancing drug doping doesn’t allow very inferior athletes to match the performance of superior ones, gene doping won’t make everyone equal.

Many genes are responsible for traits enabling superior athletic performance, while early performance-enhancing gene therapies (also known as gene doping) will almost certainly be based on disease-treating gene therapies (eg: virus-delivered alpha-sarcoglycan gene repairs in patients with certain kinds of muscular dystrophy) which target only a single or a few genes. Also, many traits need for a superior athlete, such as height and skeletal structure, aren’t easily if at all alterable in an adult, so to affect them, gene doping would need to begin in childhood or earlier, and be fraught with lots of ethical and legal perils.

"Gene doping" will be in our future. I don't think it could create something super-human but pushing the limits of genetic potential.

Assuming great advances in the understanding of genetics – IMHO a reasonable assumption – I suspect that people most would consider at least mildly “super-human” – that is, much better athletically than today’s best, but not comic-book super-hero like – isn’t too far – a decade or three, perhaps – in our future.

Consider the following simple – likely unrealistically so – scenario:

• Use fast, inexpensive automatic gene sequencing and bioinformatic computer systems to accurate and comprehensive find the genes responsible for the traits of the best athletes
  • Take a single zygote, extract its nuclear DNA
  • Remove select genes and insert super-athlete replacements
  • Replace the altered DNA into the zygote, the zygote to its mom’s uterus, and let nature take its course

Result: An otherwise normal child that matures into a super-athlete, assuming he or she chooses to dedicate the time and effort, and receives appropriate training.

If two similarly-genetically enhanced people have children, their children will inherit these artificially introduced genes and traits, no differently than they inherit other genes.

Steroids do this now …

Anabolic steroid therapy (licit or illicit) doesn’t do precisely the same thing as gene therapy (illicit). Gene therapy actually alters genes in DNA, while steroids only alter their expression of proteins.

• 2 years later...

the closest thing I know to a super soldier serum is a turkish government banned neurotrophic formulation with a project codename "cengaver".It means warrior in old turkish.It is a formulation which enhances cholinergic function via enhancement of the pace of acetylcholine release and controlled degrading of Ache, along with potent simultenaous AMPA stimulation.I had several cop friends who serves in the police force and was routinely using this formula with great but unstable results.I have personally witnessed one increasing bench 1RM from 104 to 142 kg in single dose( no kidding there) but dosing protocol is complex and if there would be even a slightest of overdose case tendon rupturing and bone damaging involuntary contractions and worse may occur.The reason this formula produced is banned is the irreversible aggression "enhancement" effect it exerts on users personality which may lead to mania.The inventor Erdal Can Alkoclar still denies that this formula was only experimental and was never used for military purposes but hey who would believe him?It does not explain why this guy is guarded by 8 DA approved police officers and the patent is actually co-owned by a researc institute which is well known to be state-funded.There were rumors that some police officers attempted to sell their own share of supply while this preperation was available in oral form and afterwards Mr.Alkoclar ceased the production of all oral neurotrophics and other myotrophic agents.As far as I know only intravenous injections are available but it is not manufactured anymore.A russian university requested a sample supply to research and develeop a cure for neuro-mascular disease originating from this cengaver called formulation but I dont know the outcme

• 1 month later...

Yes wellah.....

Just what would one want in a "Super-Soldier"?

A good Soldier is a fellow who'd have been a good Cross-Country Runner, but not necessarily a Champion.

We'd rather avoid the Extreme Ectomorphic types if possible.

Our Soldier is big-boned enough to be able to hike long distances with a full pack, or move around fairly well with 75 pounds of body armor and weapons as in Iraq.

Climbing rarely comes into play, but let's specify enough upper body strength to be able to climb a rope or rock-climbing wall reasonably well.

A good throwing arm (for grenades) is a big plus.

The "Super Mice" that I've read about are about twice as strong, pound for pound, as a regular mouse. They are far leaner and they require less rest/sleep/recovery or healing time than a normal mouse.

Their life expectancy is about 60% greater than a regular mouse.

However they burn about 65% more calories than a regular mouse--even when just sitting around.

This would be a dubious trade off for an Infantry Soldier.

He might carry more gear, but he'd need to carry much more food.

With less fat, he'd have less insulation, strategic padding and reserves to survive a few days on short rations.

Brute strength is very rarely a factor in modern warfare.

Of course being able to march with a pack 50% heavier than standard, for twice as many hours per day as a regular soldier would come in handy....

But long forced marches are becoming increasingly rare in modern warfare.

Read about Army Ranger or Navy Seal Training.

The successful candidates very rarely look like Arnold Swartzenneger or Sylvester Stallone.....

Carrying too much muscle through a course heavily biased towards endurance, can be a severe handicap.

"Super Soldiers" like I've described might be useful occasionally--on some sort of "Mission Impossible Commando Raid".....

Thing is, these sort of Raids only work because they strike an Achille's Heel that the enemy never bothered to defend, because he thought that no one could exploit it.

Once word of your "Super Soldiers" gets out, there will be very few such openings left unguarded.

However, for a Law--especially a Law who's part of a SWAT Team or Rapid Entry Warrant Serving Force--the drawbacks might be far less problematic.

What I'd really like to see would be noticeably better Night Vision--without sacrificing any daytime acuity--and much better hearing.

{Yes, they have "Night Vision" gear--but it breaks, is bulky, batteries run down--and hopefully your eyes are with you always, where as NVG may not be.}

As an aside: There are probably synthetic chemicals (many yet to be developed) that could do the same job as Adrenaline, Serotonin, Testosterone, Human Growth Hormone, Whatever--Without many of the bad side-effects and without causing the body to cut back on its own Hormone production.

{Note: Many of the Modern Anabolic Steroids have far less tendency to cause unwanted body hair, acne, liver, kidney and testicular damage, etc. than pure natural Testosterone. Not that they're bad-effect free, but they were moving in that direction.}

Okay, once you have the right "Chemical Cocktail"; it should be possible in the near future to grow a Synthetic "Organ" that would be Hypoallergenic--perhaps heavily based on the Subjects own modified DNA--Capable of being emplaced in the recipient's body, and using his own resources to keep producing the right cocktail of "Super Hormones".

{Something not much bigger than a Golf Ball--at most.}

This is Kinda "Super Soldier" with a Small-case "s"...

Saxon Violence