Science Forums

[Q] Does heavy water ice sink or float in regular water?

Moontanman

A form of water in which the hydrogen atoms of mass 1 (1H) ordinarily present in water are replaced by deuterium (D or 2H), the heavy stable isotope of hydrogen of mass 2. The molecular formula of heavy water is D2O (or 2H2O). See also Deuterium.

Because the mass difference between 1H and 2H is the largest for any pair of stable (nonradioactive) isotopes in the periodic table, many of the physical and chemical properties of the pure isotopic species and their respective compounds differ to a significant extent. Selected physical properties of 1H2O and 2H2O are compared in the table.

Physical properties of ordinary and heavy water Property

1H2O

2H2O (D2O)

Molecular weight, 12C scale

Melting point, °C

Normal boiling point, °C

Temperature of maximum density, °C

Density at 25°C, g/cm3

Critical constants

Temperature, °C

Pressure, mPa

Volume, cm3/mol

Viscosity at 55°C, mPa · s

Refractive index, nD20

A form of water in which the hydrogen atoms of mass 1 (1H) ordinarily present in water are replaced by deuterium (D or 2H), the heavy stable isotope of hydrogen of mass 2. The molecular formula of heavy water is D2O (or 2H2O). See also Deuterium.

Because the mass difference between 1H and 2H is the largest for any pair of stable (nonradioactive) isotopes in the periodic table, many of the physical and chemical properties of the pure isotopic species and their respective compounds differ to a significant extent. Selected physical properties of 1H2O and 2H2O are compared in the table.

Physical properties of ordinary and heavy water Property

1H2O

2H2O (D2O)

Molecular weight, 12C scale

Melting point, °C

Normal boiling point, °C

Temperature of maximum density, °C

Density at 25°C, g/cm3

Critical constants

Temperature, °C

Pressure, mPa

Volume, cm3/mol

Viscosity at 55°C, mPa · s

Refractive index, nD20

Please indicate your source(s). In this case:

heavy water: Definition from Answers.com

As this is a copyrighted source, please abide by fair use when quoting from such sources. It's good practice to use the

tags as well.

I don't remember

Fresh water icebergs would have to float in a salty sea.

(Although 80-90% is below the waterline)

But ice that has been compressed for a few millennia has virtually no air in it and might sink in fresh water??

The best Google could come up with was a note that glacial ice with sediment in it may sink ("Black icebergs")

SEE

The Alaska Almanac: Facts about Alaska - Google Book Search

where is an Antarctic Geek when you need one?

I can see glacial ice with sediment in it sinking but if it's freshwater ice no matter if it has air in it or not it will float. If I remember correctly sea ice or ice that forms in sea water sheds it's salt content as it freezes so sea ice is freshwater ice and should always float.

Goku, I saw it on the eleventh hour too. I wasn't sure if it was true or not. The idea that one isotope could be heavy enough to affect if it floats or not seems almost counter intuitive me but I guess it's correct.

D2O ice can will sink in H2O, but with a qualifier.

Maximum density of H2O is at 3.984 C; 999.972 kg/m3 (liquid)

Density of D2O ice at its melting point is 1017.5 kg/m3 (3.82 C).

However, H2O can also exist with the atomic weight of the O "18" instead of "16". In that case, the H20 (18) has a density of 1112.49 kg/m3 at 4.211 C. So D2O ice would float on that type of water.

Belove, why would you give a link to nothing? What is the point? Are you hoping no one would check?

It worked straight away for me- to Wiki article.

Perhaps I should get my daughter in Tasmania to contact the Antarctic division of whatever down there. They have huge cold rooms filled with masses of drilled ice cores from Antarctica. We only need them to drop an old, deep bit into a glass of tap water. That shouldn't be too hard?:sherlock:

It worked straight away for me- to Wiki article.

Perhaps I should get my daughter in Tasmania to contact the Antarctic division of whatever down there. They have huge cold rooms filled with masses of drilled ice cores from Antarctica. We only need them to drop an old, deep bit into a glass of tap water. That shouldn't be too hard?:confused:

No need. Boil some water and make some ice cubes. The boiling will remove almost all of the gases from the water. The ice will float just like any other. The only exceptions seem to be if additional elements are present in the ice or if the water is "heavy water".