Science Forums

Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions?

Hi there I am not going to stop till I answer this question. Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions? I worked really hard outlining this question on my site and it is a cool read. http://brownskinwife.yolasite.com/

So I put it out there Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions? Here is my Psychic Astronaut experience and my Psychic Awakening, please don't flame me B)

Thanks!

Hi there I am not going to stop till I answer this question. Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions? I worked really hard outlining this question on my site and it is a cool read. http://brownskinwife.yolasite.com/

So I put it out there Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions? Here is my Psychic Astronaut experience and my Psychic Awakening, please don't flame me B)

Thanks!

Ship me a 55 gallon drum of it and I'll let you know

• 1 year later...

So I put it out there Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions? Here is my Psychics_Astronaut experience and my Psychic Awakening, please don't flame me B)

Thanks!

I once watched a documentary about DMT and it was about a religion that used DMT to induce hallucinations. Very interesting stuff.

i would say that carefully planned scientific experiments should be done with varying doses,

in these experiments, everyone focuses on emitting one shape, after the experiment, each scientist writes their shape on a piece of paper

then each scientist writes the shape that each other person looks like

then write yoour emotional feelings

and see how they correlate

Wasn't there some guy back in the 1800's that dabbled with Stuff like DMT and LSD? Now that I think of it I think it was in the 20th century, anyway, on his death bed, after many years of experimenting, he had himself mega if not over dosed on one of those chemicals and as he died he went on a one way journey to the center of his mind, so to speak. I'll look into it if I can think of how to google that and I'll let you guys know but I don't think anyone has established if the visions were psychic or just hallucinogenic.

Welcome to hypography, weRall1 :)

To everybody reading and considering replying to this thread, I strongly recommend following the above link and reading weareallone’s life story there, to dispel any misconception that he’s a newcomer to the subject of the endogenous tryptamine DMT, and because it is, IMHO, a decently written and deeply personal story.

My personal background and moral education puts high value on “heartsongs” – explanations of how we think and feel judged for their sincerity and depth of emotion over factual accuracy – but also on regarding physical reality as a scientifically knowable data – “cold equations” – unaffected by the beliefs and emotions of its viewers, which often leads me to delicate balancing acts, trying to reconcile people’s feelings and imaginings with what’s physically real. Unlike the meatspace realm where I grew up and acquired my moral and epistemological compass, we’re interacting in the remote realm of an internet forum here, so I’m unsure how or which whom I’m interacting now, but I’m attempting such a balancing act now, with you, wearallone.

Our life stories correspond and differ in some key ways. I was born in 1960, which I’m guessing makes me about 20 years older than you, about 1 generation apart. I’ve been a full-time IT pro since 1985, specialized somewhat in computer security. Your professional life seems rockier. The bulk of my IT work is medical – the work of which I’m most proud is in medical computing, using self-reported medical history to improve long-term health, but I’m solidly in the medical mainstream, oiling the informational gears, so to speak, of a giant not-for-profit HMO that manages the health of close to 10 million people using the tools and philosophy of western medical science. So, while I’m not an MD, I take this paragraph at your personal webpage

You're to busy trying
NOT
to Rock The Boat and loose your
Status
as
Supposed
Professionals or Researchers, just so you can sit out in the back yard, sipping your wine, telling everyone how ****ing special you are because your a Doctor. You are
NOT, I repeat NOT
a Doctor in my eyes, you are a sell out to your own species. I have like Zero Respect for Medicinal Science,
LIKE NONE!
Medicinal science is ****ing nothing but Legal and Business Bullshit. Doctors and Researchers are nothing more than Lawyers and Business Men. I tell everyone I meet what a scam your primitive and dangerous medical profession really is.

personally. It pisses me off. You may have zero respect for my profession, but there’s a reasonable chance you’re alive because of it, as infant mortality in countries like Canada and the US would likely be about 25% rather than the present day 1% without the techniques and therapies developed by it. :mad: :angry:

Through the mid 1980s, I was interested and involved in psychic and magikal community, especially involving tryptamine and other psychedelic pharmacodynamics. However, literature and some first-hand experiments, self and clinical, led me to conclude that all belief in “classical extra-sensory perception”, especially mind reading and out-of-body perception, is incorrect, and that all of these perceptions are imaginative/hallucinatory phenomena confined to the brain and ordinary sense. Most compellingly, I personally experienced several out-of-body experiences in controlled settings where I viewed and reported 4 digit numbers not visible by my normal senses. In all cases, I was certain I had correctly viewed, remembered, and accurately reported these numbers, but in all cases, I was wrong.

In short, my beliefs changed from a credulous “anything is possible” leaning toward “ESP is real” to a skeptical “natural law exists” and “intuition and imagination is real, and capable of more than one might think”.

I’m an apostle of this worldview. I believe people who believe that ESP is real err in a way that dramatically limits their ability to acquire knowledge and wisdom, and should strive to make a transition from credulity to skepticism similar to mine.

Hi there I am not going to stop till I answer this question. Does DMT Dimethyltryptamine Create Psychic Visions?

In the levels occurring endogenously – that attained via meditation or other non-drug ingesting activities – I don’t think so.

In the levels occurring when ingesting DMT, such as inhaling vaporized DMT-bearing salts, I think so. Pharmochemically and pharmodynamically, DMT is similar to the better-known artificial psychedelic drug LSD – both bind primarily to neuroreceptor such as dopamine and serotonin receptors, expecially the 5-HT1A serotonin receptor. So, in addition to its smaller literature, the much larger literature on LSD can be considered evidence that large doses of DMT produces reports of psychic visions.

I find Rick Strassman’s speculation that the an extraordinarily large endogenous release of DMT accounts for the strange experiences reported by some people who nearly die interesting and plausible, but have seen no clinical evidence from Strassman, nor evidence that he intended to attempt to collect any, in support of this hypothesis. DMT is not routinely checked for in hospital tests, and in pharmacological research (according to the references in its wikipedia article linked to above) is usually detected via gas chromatographic tests not practically available to hospitals, so testing Strassman’s hypothesis would not be an easy or cheap undertaking, but such a conclusive test an interesting hypothesis seems worth it.

You seem to be familiarity with Strassman and his ideas, weRall1 – do you know of any such research?

moontanman

remember, this is a realm of mystics, philosophers, sorcerers, and the like

some of my views may be similar to weareone's views, although with the exception of myself knowing

we are all one (not the user)

in which case i usually take a nuetral stance on subjects, you see the main issue is, this realm is full of phylosophers

and it is a realm where one in the realm can easily be influenced by one who is themself misinformed

similar to people who believe the moon landing was a hoax

the issue is they tell people they are under mind control, when it is themselves in the end

( we are all one )

but also there is always a yin-yang

where past medical practices were less than honorable

present ones are more and more honorable everyday

with good intention

now in weareallone's defence

the topic of a stomack bacteria that may prevent cancers of multiple types

where when it goes out pf balance and creates a stomack ache, a doctor prescribes an antibiotic

then all these bacteria die, which may cause specific cancers to have a better chance to grow

but it is not the fact that the doctor had ill intentions, more as, we just found out that this bacteria prevents cancers of specific types

where remember, this state ment could be misread, and repeated as doctors are killing us by killing our inner bacteria,

which is not the case (intentionally)

more so it is a trial and error process continually going on

remember the science of this realm is different than believe all

where a scientist in this realm has a unique perspective to strive for truth

others may just be under spells themselves by those who would choose to have power over them

when there is equality, all aspects are taken into consideration

when we are all one, the scientist will look for truth

the controller will always be right

the healer will always heal

when love is more powerful than hate, others perspectives will be taken into account

• 9 months later...

In the levels occurring endogenously – that attained via meditation or other non-drug ingesting activities – I don’t think so.

In the levels occurring when ingesting DMT, such as inhaling vaporized DMT-bearing salts, I think so. Pharmochemically and pharmodynamically, DMT is similar to the better-known artificial psychedelic drug LSD – both bind primarily to neuroreceptor such as dopamine and serotonin receptors, expecially the 5-HT1A serotonin receptor. So, in addition to its smaller literature, the much larger literature on LSD can be considered evidence that large doses of DMT produces reports of psychic visions.

I find Rick Strassman’s speculation that the an extraordinarily large endogenous release of DMT accounts for the strange experiences reported by some people who nearly die interesting and plausible, but have seen no clinical evidence from Strassman, nor evidence that he intended to attempt to collect any, in support of this hypothesis. DMT is not routinely checked for in hospital tests, and in pharmacological research (according to the references in its wikipedia article linked to above) is usually detected via gas chromatographic tests not practically available to hospitals, so testing Strassman’s hypothesis would not be an easy or cheap undertaking, but such a conclusive test an interesting hypothesis seems worth it.

You seem to be familiarity with Strassman and his ideas, weRall1 – do you know of any such research?

The serotonin receptor subtype that is primarily responsible for the mind altering effects of psychedelics is 5-HT2.

Most visual hallucinogens are active as full or partial agonists at the 5-HT2A receptor subtype, and all produce similar visual hallucinations that are immediately recognizable as psychedelic.1 Although the 5-HT2A receptor subtype is not the only receptor implicated in hallucinogenesis,2 it is one of the most studied hallucinogenic targets and offers some insights into the quality of classical psychedelic interaction.

http://psychedelic-information-theory.com/5HT2A-Agonism-and-Multisensory-Binding

http://psychedelic-information-theory.com/upload/img/affinity.jpg

From subjective reports all substances at the top of this list are very hallucinogenic, but DMT, which is often considered to be the most hallucinogenic, actually falls somewhere in the middle. If we look at 5-HT2C affinity, which is also implicated in hallucination, we can see that all substances at the top of the list also have high 5-HT2C affinity, with DMT and DOI having slightly higher affinity than the rest.

http://psychedelic-information-theory.com/Psychedelic-Pharmacology

The idea of endogenous DMT is often brushed off as trace amounts. Here's an estimate from a book "Quantum Physics, Near Death Experiences, Eternal Consciousness, Religion, and the Human Soul" by William Jospeh Bray. While the name of the book may make you cringe, the estimate seems solid to me.

The best figure I can get for endogenous DMT is actually from CSF(cerebrospinal fluid) collected via the lumbar and in humans the maximum reported is 100 micrograms per liter of CSF. [smythies, J.R., Morin R.D., Brown G.B.(June 1979). "Identification of dimethyltryptamine and O-methylbufotenin in human cerebrospinal fluid by combined gas chromatography/mass spectrometry". Biological Psychiatry 14 (3):549-56]. The body contains roughly 150 milliliters CSF at any one time. An injected dose of DMT capable of producing a psychedelic experience so intense the subject is incapable of perceiving the room is about 10 milligrams. There are roughly 5 liters of blood in the human body. This reduces the injected dose to about 2 milligrams per liter of blood. Assuming 100% blood-brain barrier penetration (it is actually much lower) this would result in 300 micrograms reaching the brain. This means that the lumbar measurement cited above indicates that an individual is about 5% on their way to a psychedelic experience so intesne they can not perceive the room they are in, as an endogenous state of the human body's own metabolism. The number could be as low as 1%, however, I am certain the blood brain barrier penetration is poor and 5% is in the ballpark. This is a very crude approximation based on a vital lack of pharmacokinetic data for endogenous DMT in humans.

Edited by SmoothHerring