Science Forums

Hi There, I'm New, And I've Brought Cookies....

Gypsy

As in chocolate chip, not the HTTP kind....

Anyway, my name is Miss Gypsy. I did a Google search for 'Super Soldier Serum' and conveniently it brought me to a thread on this site entitled, funnily enough, 'Super Soldier Serum'. I read it and other posts throughout the forum and discovered a wonderful collection of fantastic minds!!!

Which, however, mine is nothing like. I am a writer, of fiction, and am currently working on a characters' background that I felt I needed to do some serious research on. I am looking to create a 'plausible possibility' for his genetic makeup: that is, I would like to limit how much artistic license I use (no gamma rays, adamantium, or vibranium, although that would be cool).

I am not well read, trained in or studying any of the sciences. Most of what is said will be completely over my head, but of my reading that I have done so far on the topics of genetic engineering, human enhancement, gene therapy, recombinant DNA, retroviruses, I hope to not clog your brilliant minds and try to hold my own in discussions.

So, something about me now. Let's see:

I am a qualified automotive spraypainter. I attended university for 5 years (but did not complete). My favourite 'superhero' is Wolverine (Wonder Woman and Captain America are battling it out for second). Thanks to my Dad, I grew up on a delicious menagerie of what my Mum called 'the oddball": Doctor Who, Labyrinth, Monty Python, The Dark Crystal, Phantom comics, Red Dwarf, Commodore 64's, Tolkien - basically I'm a nerdy child from the 80's. I have a pathological fear of garbage recyclers (dianoga's could be anywhere). I am a revhead: Goes fast? Check. Sounds good? Check. Burns rubber? Check. My favourite food is chocolate. I follow the Brisbane Lions AFL team (don't bother looking up their stats for this season so far - big fat 0!!)

So now that the movies' over, the credits are rolling and the ushers are trying to clean popcorn from under your feet, I will say goodbye for now. I hope to meet many of you in my quest for 'plausible possibility'.

Oh, and I will bring cookies for the all nighters.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Miss Gypsy

Welcome to hypography, Miss Gypsy! :)

I did a Google search for 'Super Soldier Serum' and conveniently it brought me to a thread on this site entitled, funnily enough, 'Super Soldier Serum'. I read it and other posts throughout the forum and discovered a wonderful collection of fantastic minds!!!

Which, however, mine is nothing like.

Thanks for the flattery – speaking for myself, I can never get enough of it, for me or for my favorite internet forum, hypography. I think you may be being too humble – an appreciation for fast, pretty cars, comics and good SF, and working knowledge of creating them, shows the same combination of discerning judgment and willingness to work that makes for a good working scientist or science enthusiast. All that’s needed is to get past that “not well read” issue, for which internet forums, especially hypo, is good.

PS: I bow to your superior geekiness :bow: – I had to google “dianoga” to learn for the first time that the trash compacter monster for SW IV had not only a name, but a whole fannishly invented zoological explanation.

I am a writer, of fiction, and am currently working on a characters' background that I felt I needed to do some serious research on. I am looking to create a 'plausible possibility' for his genetic makeup: that is, I would like to limit how much artistic license I use (no gamma rays, adamantium, or vibranium, although that would be cool).

Great idea. The super soldier genre in SF is plagued with works that don’t worry much about biological plausibility – movies like Universal Soldier, practically every video game of the theme every made, and presumably some novels in the same vein (though I’m a pretty omnivorous reader, I tend to avoid, and can’t bring to mind one to match the movies and video games). A few good storied that do come to mind – Joe Haldeman’s Hugo winning 1997 Forever Peace, and Keith Brooke’s IMHO deservedly less famous 2001 Keepers of the Peace – but I note that these dwell on the idea of artificial, rather than genetic, augmentation – in comic parlance, cyborgs rather than superhumans.

A really good, hard SF story in the genre would be unusual, and welcome, as would a hypography thread on the subject, which I don’t believe we’ve had since the 2008 thread SuperSoldier Serum? that lead you here. Please hurry and start one! :thumbs_up

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D Ginger snap anyone?

Welcome aboard :) do not be shy to ask anything, we will be gentle.

Thanks Jay-qu. It's not so much as being shy, more that I don't want to offend anyone with my lack of knowledge.

I think you may be being too humble – an appreciation for fast, pretty cars, comics and good SF, and working knowledge of creating them, shows the same combination of discerning judgment and willingness to work that makes for a good working scientist or science enthusiast.

I thank you, CraigD, but trust me, there is no humbleness here. I really am not that clever. My family are continually shaking their heads at me, with a sort of 'how-in-the-hell-did-she-come-up-with-that???' look on their face. I am the quirky, nerdy, geeky 'entertainment' of the family. Perhaps that's why I am such a good writer?? All I am hoping for is that my 'layman's terms' do not stand against me. And on that note, the issue of being 'not well read' - is complete and past. :)

And it's not superior geekiness, just survival. I hated that dianoga growing up, Dad jumping out from behind the couch probably didn't help there. That, and Skeksis. *shudder* I hate Skeksis.

The super soldier genre in SF is plagued with works that don’t worry much about biological plausibility – movies like Universal Soldier

It wasn't only biological plausibility that Universal Soldier didn't worry about - I think the acting level may have taken a hit, too. :rolleyes:

I have not heard of the texts you mentioned, but I am definitely going to look into them. Any material on the matter is welcomed, as it will help define this character.

A really good, hard SF story in the genre would be unusual, and welcome, as would a hypography thread on the subject, which I don’t believe we’ve had since the 2008 thread SuperSoldier Serum? that lead you here. Please hurry and start one! :thumbs_up

I realise that I am approaching the Super Soldier idea from a difficult angle. A 'plausible' biological explanation for human genetic enhancement????? What was I thinking?? But I know what I was thinking - this guy is still human, so I want to explore the emotional element as well as the scientific.

I am currently bringing together 'my' research on the area (read that as 'trying to sound somewhat proficient in the area'), hopefully within the next few days I will start a thread on it in. Biology, yes? More cookies as well, I promise. Do you think you can hold on until then?!!?? :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D Ginger snap anyone?

I realise that I am approaching the Super Soldier idea from a difficult angle. A 'plausible' biological explanation for human genetic enhancement?????

...mmmm... Ginger!

If you're looking for a good angle on biology for your soldier....

I think epigenetics is a very neat new scientific insight into the expression of our genes. Combining epigenetics with the more fictional idea of revealing useful genes hidden within the evolutionary history of our mammalian "line" might be a route to explore. Any handy trait could probably be found somewhere in the evolutionary kingdom, and who's to say that it might not still be hidden deep within our "junk" DNA... or if it came from a different line of evolution, it could be easily inserted and activated when needed. Google: <"junk DNA"> or <epigenetics> and check out the .edu sites.

Ultimately, we evolved from worms (probably starting out as partially-dried, and rolled-up, bacterial mats) and we still hold much of that genetic histroy in the 98% of our "unused," "junk" or non-coding DNA.

The key to understanding the potential for wide, rapid, and varied genetic expression in a sci-fi character would be all the modifiers, promoters, reversible inhibitors, and other control mechanisms which normally confine our wide genetic complement into a narrow range of expression. But with Sci-Fi you can release the normal controls on genetics (learn about epigenetics to see many real mechanisms) in order to create a highly adaptable character that displayed abilities from other species, or long-extinct species. There could be all sorts of skin and lung adaptations, detoxifying abilities, and digestion/energy metabolism (aerobic/anaerobic) options to choose from. From bacteria to plants and animals, we all use the same basic biochemistry, which is just adjusted and balanced differently for each organisms particular environment and function in that environment (or words to that effect).

~ B)

Wow, I've really opened a can of worms for myself.....I feel like I'm back in high school studying for my final exams - and nothing makes sense!!! :eek_big: You guys are seriously clever to understand all this.

Thanks for the epigenetics tip Essay. I had been looking into 'junk' DNA, and what potential could lie within. Now that I've read up on epigenetics and how it works, I may have just found my way of turning on some of these dormant abilities.

I am hoping to start my thread today, if not then probably over the weekend. I still need clarification about a number of issues, plus I now also have my own personal dilemma with my character regarding how 'modified' he becomes. It's not a 'hardware' issue, I won't be using any exoskeletons or computer chip implants (I don't think?); it's a 'software' issue, as in mental/emotional. Getting the balance right between too little modification (pointless and boring) and too much modification (non-human, unable to interact) is something I'm spending night after night trying to get right.

Plus there's learning all these new terms, and theories, and mechanisms, and transposons, and methylations, and.......

My head hurts........ :banghead: