Science Forums

"Oh *that's* obscure, B!"

Buffy

• 4 months later...

Pigeons? I'm worried about the nothing cannibals in this thread!

And invited the neighbors in, (Oh *that's* obscure, B!)

Buffy

:hyper: :note2: :out: :shrugs:

A reference to this post in the Nothing thread.

In keeping with the references to the Tom Lehrer lyric referred to by you from "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" that this quote is responding to, I was referring to a *much* more obscure Tom Lehrer song from his infamous (but available on CD!) First Album, "Songs by Tom Lehrer" called The Irish Ballad, which contains the following verse:

One day when she had
nothing
to do

Sing rickety tickety tin

One day when she had
nothing
to do

She cut her baby brother in two

Served him up in an Irish stew

And invited the neighbors in

-Bors in. Invited the neighbors in

The reference of course was an unbelievably obscure play on the Nothing theme, and cannibalism coming in because they ate her baby brother....

And we had to make do with gin, :note:

Buffy

• 3 months later...

Old timer's know this, but its caused some confusion recently so I'll bump this to clarify it.

The Buffy enjoys obscure pop culture references. When you see a :phones: icon--AKA "Buffy's Asterisk"--next to one of The Buffy's sign-offs, its an indicator that The Buffy did not come up with it but rather that it is a quote from a--usually obscure--source not of The Buffy. The Buffy does not provide a direct reference to it, because half the fun is in finding out where it came from.

Through the miracle of the Internet, Googling the phrase can often conjure the source up, but unfortunately The Buffy is old enough so that some quotes can't be found this way, and you'll have to ask your grandparents where it may have come from...

Gosh I never knew how much fun it was to refer to one's self in the third person! I think I'll stop now though, I'm getting dizzy... ;)

No one has a franchise on the truth, not even you Senator, :cup:

Buffy

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
She sometimes takes longish breaks.

Longish! I love that word!

Work beckoned...back now! :doh:

Air? I love air! Breathing it...are you kidding me? What kind of Lottery did my nose just win? And free--don't even get me started. (breathes) Whoa! :shrug:

Buffy

• 3 months later...
If this is Alyssa Milano, do you know when she said it? I'm sure it's completely insignificant, but I'm having the weirdest deja vu.

~modest

Alyssa Milano runing around outside naked! Almost makes an earth quake worth it! When we sit out a hurricane I keep my shoes on all the time....... Buffy and her obscure references have already stung me in R&R Name that tune. I think she may not even look like her avatar! For shame! Take advantage of a senile old man, leave him twisting in the wind :)