Science Forums

Purple Sand

wine

No joke. Has anyone else seen it?

Throughout my journies I have stumbled upon beaches that have a thin layer of purple sand, shaped like the wind.

What is the cause of this? I've only seen it in California, does it occur elsewhere?

On our Washington beaches we sometimes get masses of little sea creatures I think they call "sails" They are a translucent purple creature with a body like insect wings and 3-fold. When they wash up they are rather shining, but when the tide recedes they dry out and break into bits which sometimes stay stuck in the lap lines where the tide dropped them and other times blow in the wind. I speculate this is the cause of your purple sand. :painting: :hihi: :phones:

I found these pictures of beaches with purple sand,like it's saying in the first link,it's probably resulted from manganese garnet, washed down from the hillside.

Purple Sand - Pfeiffer Beach Pictures

In this one it's almost red:

Nikhil Kothari's Photos : California Coast - Purple sand

It's pretty,but i don't think I could stay much time looking at this beach(looks dirty :painting: ).

Thank you for your time and goodbye ^^

On our Washington beaches we sometimes get masses of little sea creatures I think they call "sails" They are a translucent purple creature with a body like insect wings and 3-fold. When they wash up they are rather shining, but when the tide recedes they dry out and break into bits which sometimes stay stuck in the lap lines where the tide dropped them and other times blow in the wind. I speculate this is the cause of your purple sand. :) ;) :hi:

(This is a standing ovation.)