Why do walruses need a god?

InfiniteNow

O Now that we know what we didn't

when we wanted to,

maybe we should carve a tablet in the walruss language, with a divine tusk,

informing them as they make their sacred evolutionary ascent

that No, there wasn't a creator,

they happened and now

they just have to wander around howling.

Anyone beside me gasp at how ridiculous this question sounds when put it into another context?

Yup.. and I ask.. why does God need Walruses..?? Does that sound just as ridiculous..?? :confused:

Seriously, it is a real question. Why does anyone need to have an invented creator? I think the walrus analogy may leave something to be desired.

Where did this analogy come from.. I think I missed something..

Ashley

Yup.. and I ask.. why does God need Walruses..?? Does that sound just as ridiculous..?? :)

Where did this analogy come from.. I think I missed something..

Ashley

Read "why do we need a God."

InfiniteNow just sort of made the analogy up to show that the question is silly. I'm not sure I understand why. . .

• 2 weeks later...

Follow this logic. Walruses and other animals don't have a God because they are not high enough on the evolutionary scale to have one. They react in the real time, without much contemplation of infinity. The idea of God did not appear until humans evolved civilization. Since both animals and aetheists don't have any God concept, does that mean that aetheists and animals have something in common?

Follow this logic. Walruses and other animals don't have a God because they are not high enough on the evolutionary scale to have one. They react in the real time, without much contemplation of infinity. The idea of God did not appear until humans evolved civilization. Since both animals and aetheists don't have any God concept, does that mean that aetheists and animals have something in common?

not in the hindu religion.you screw up in some weird way,like being a klepto,and you come back as a walrus and your left contemplating all that stuff you stole.so,ide say the average walrus would contemplate god as a fixed an absolute state of enlightenment compared to his state of devolution.

edited to add a poem about the whole anamistic paradign

walrus, don't be discouraged,

The Man he ain't so hard to understand.

walrus, if you try now,

I know that you can lend a helping hand.

Because there's good in everyone

And a new day has begun

You can see the morning sun if you try.

And I know, things will be better

Oh yes they will for walrus and the Man

Yes they will for walrus and the Man.

Following that particular argument, blowflies and dungbeetles must be really pissed off with God. We should be seeing blowfly demonstrations outside churches, etc. Cops breaking up unruly mobs of dungbeetles throwing their cargo around. And if its true that you are reincarnated as a lower species if you screwed up, but can't remember it once you've learnt your lesson and came back as a human once again, what's the point? How can you learn the errors of your ways if you are born with 100% amnesia of your previous life every single time?

I discriminate equally when it comes to religions. Reincarnation is one of the main foundations of Hinduism. It's essential for reaching nirvana through higher and higher levels of being. It's poppycock, too.

• 11 months later...
Follow this logic. Walruses and other animals don't have a God because they are not high enough on the evolutionary scale to have one. They react in the real time, without much contemplation of infinity. The idea of God did not appear until humans evolved civilization.

So essentially what you're saying here is the rest of the animal kingdom doesn't have a god because they are incapable of making one up in their minds. Yeah, I can agree with that.

Since both animals and aetheists don't have any God concept, does that mean that aetheists and animals have something in common?

Well, the first thing they have in common is they're both animals. The difference is one can't consider god, the other considered god and said.....Nah!

Maybe walruses do not need a god beacause they already act in harmony with their environment. When there is inadequate food, they do not reproduce excessively. BY doing so they preserve their own ecosystem. Humans are the only creatures that overextend their credit on this planet, if you can accept that analogy. Anyone is welcome to prove me wrong. Of course, that is what a scientific forum is for.

• 4 months later...

So. Much. Wrong. With. That. Post. Numbered by sentence.

1) Logic?

2) Evolutionary Scale? Evolution isn't a ladder.

3) Or fake time. Humans of course, react in Greenwich Mean Time.

4) Really? Pre-civilization humans didn't have gods? I'll assume you meant "culture" and point out that chimps and dolphins both show culture.

5) Neither of them can follow this post?

Humans have God(s) so we have somebody to blame when things really go south. It makes us feel better. So what?

The destructive part of religion isn't believing that there's a god, it's believing that everybody else needs to believe there's a god.

Nobody who tells you what to believe has anything but their own best interests at heart.

tfs