Science Forums

Environmental Study Of Lechtenberg Park

Turtle

Very few Camas are actually inside the park, as they prefer the open fields and meadows. However, the fallow field forming the park's Western boundary is absolutely full! Here's a Meriwether Lewis quote on Camas and a short video clip of the field. :hihi: :)

"The quawmash is now in blume and from the colour ... at a short distance it resembles lakes of fine clear water, so complete is this deseption that on first sight I could have swoarn it was water." Meriwether Lewis, June 12, 1806

Camas Flowers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJojBKRxbq0

Aye matey! Ranunculus! :)

That's a very good shot actually. It shows scale, leaf patterns, floral structure, and stem characteristics (in this case hirsute).

Good job @lurtl! :bow:

(What else can you call a turtle with an atlatl?)

Almost passed over you post. :hihi: Thanks for the 'good shot matey'. I'm starting to get the hang of wildflower photography. Besides the features you mention, the blooms are waxy. Another clincher on this one that I just photographed but haven't posted, is the hairy sepals under the bloom. (I remembered to bring home a sample of this one. :bow: ) My fieldguide says we have 24 species of Buttercup in Washington! :hihi:

Mmmm...a turtle with an atlatl....I know! Dangerous! :hihi: :hihi:

Here's another tiny toughy, having "...too many species and varieties to list them all.", according to my fieldguide. :hihi: :hihi: I have it narrowed down to a Rockress, genus Arabis. Note the flat, long seed-pods, and the 6 stamens with 2 of them short. :hihi: Possibly this is Drummond's Rockress - Arabis drummondii ? Blooms are ~7mm. :hihi: :)

Washington Flora Checklist

blooms 7mm

possibly Drummond's Rockress - A. drummondii

may 14, 2008

lechtenberg park, clark county washington

What!? Past Midnight? :lol: Good grief & oh bother! Last one for the night then. I was absolutely sure this was Black Hawthorn, then I found there is a Columbian Hawthorn and now I'm only 98% absolutely sure. Note the stamens with pink anthers. :hihi: Here's a flower close-up and a video of the entire tree showing bark, thorns, and leaves. .....................:shrug:

aka douglas hawthorn

may 14, 2008

lechtenberg park

clark county washington - native

The Hawthorns of the Columbia River Gorge

YouTube - Black Hawthorn - Crataegus douglasii http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adF9gyACwE

Here's another tiny toughy, having "...too many species and varieties to list them all.", according to my fieldguide. ;) :doh: I have it narrowed down to a Rockress, genus Arabis. Note the flat, long seed-pods, and the 6 stamens with 2 of them short. :lol: Possibly this is Drummond's Rockress - Arabis drummondii ? Blooms are ~7mm. :hihi: :shrug:

What about Cardamine flexuosa?

Do you have a shot of the leaves?

Cardamine flexuosa

WFS Articles March Bittercresses

What about Cardamine flexuosa?

Do you have a shot of the leaves?

Cardamine flexuosa

WFS Articles March Bittercresses

That might be it, but I only have a few upper leaves on my samples and they are small and deeply lobed. :) Reading your articles, it looks like I need to go count the stamens. I'll stay on it. :photos:

Back to an earlier ID, that of the Saskatoon. You called it right, but in that location I gave photos from, so many other plants were growing that I mistook leaves from the plant giving me grief for those on the Saskatoon. No worries though, as yesterday I found a good size tree of it and have a short video below. No mistake this time. :eek:

Do you think I got the Hawthorn right? .............:hihi:

Saskatoon - Amelanchier alnifolia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIHZjhdp-e8

That might be it, but I only have a few upper leaves on my samples and they are small and deeply lobed. ;) Reading your articles, it looks like I need to go count the stamens. I'll stay on it. :photos:

Cool, let us know.

Back to an earlier ID, that of the Saskatoon. You called it right, but in that location I gave photos from, so many other plants were growing that I mistook leaves from the plant giving me grief for those on the Saskatoon. No worries though, as yesterday I found a good size tree of it and have a short video below. No mistake this time. :cheer:

Cool, I knew something was wrong there. ;)

Do you think I got the Hawthorn right? .............:turtle:

Unfortunately, I'm blocked from watching youtube videos at work, so I'll have to check it when I get home. :)

Cool, let us know[... about Cardamine flexuosa?]

OK You got it! ;) Muchas gracias. :photos: I did not collect the basal leaves :turtle:, but the 6 stamens do it and one of the photos you linked to shows a stem leaf like my plant. I'll add the ID to photos & index ASAP.

Interestingly enough, in reading your links I may have solved the puzzle of a 'weed' in my yard that explodes its flat long seed pods as soon as you pull it! It is smaller than Waxy Bittercress (Cardamine flexuosa) and may be Hairy Bittercress. I was just out gardening & I dug one out & potted it. Will get photos & post in Environmental Study of My Back Yard.

I think I got video yesterday of a Hazlenut & will process that soon. That's all I got..............___:cheer:

For the hawthorn, I believe you are correct with douglasii. It's pretty darn hard to tell for sure though. From the link you gave on hawthorns of the Columbia Gorge, they emphasize the large size of the thorns on the Columbia hawthorn. From your video, the thorns are not as long as the leaves.

Fortunately though, the fruit are different colors so it can be certified later in the year. ;)

For the hawthorn, I believe you are correct with douglasii. It's pretty darn hard to tell for sure though. From the link you gave on hawthorns of the Columbia Gorge, they emphasize the large size of the thorns on the Columbia hawthorn. From your video, the thorns are not as long as the leaves.

Fortunately though, the fruit are different colors so it can be certified later in the year. :turtle:

OK Agreed. Also I recall reading that the Columbia Hawthorn has many thorns on the branches and this specimen has few. Will try & comply on the fruit gathering. Racoon & I were discussing the Native American food called pemmican, and we were not sure which berry they used. The general sense I get from my fieldguide is that they used any and all that were edible.

So, speaking of natives, eatables, Lewis & Clark, and Lechtenberg, my field guide offers this quote of William Clark on the native Hazelnut.

October 22, 1805 near The Dalles, '...we arrived at 5 Large Lod[g]es of natives...they gave us Philberts [Hazelnuts]...and berries to eate.'

Here is the suspect shrub/tree in Lechtenberg. I'm deathly allergic to these nuts, but I will keep an eye out for any fruits. :cheer: ;)

Hazelnut - Corylus cornuta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3vX9SmVWI

More from the turtle's den. I have ID'd this as Field Mint - Mentha arvensis. The blooms aren't fully open and there is barely a hint of purple or blue there, but my fieldguide for Washington has nothing else remotely like this. I found it growing in a swampy area beside a creek backwater. Everyone good with the ID?

Edit: Now properly ID'd as Stinging Nettle - Urtica dioica. In my own feeble defense, my fieldguide photo for Stinging Nettle looks nothing like this plant as I encountered it. :rolleyes: Of to edit the video title.

Stinging Nettle - Urtica dioica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpt1mR_k4ck

Making short vids of individual species is a new experiment. :banghead: How's it workin' for y'all? :rolleyes:

Here's another anyway. :sherlock: This is that Pacific Ninebark I earlier mentioned & posted a still of leaves & unopened bloom. I saw no flowers on it when shooting the videography, but those long straight canes look like they might make good arrows. ..............:cheer:

Pacific Ninebark - Physocarpus capitatus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdmqFtdWW8

Racoon drew my attention to several fungi; that Racoon is such a fun guy after all. :doh: Not satisfied with simply pointing them out, he simply, if not wryly, said, "why don't you take a picture Turtle." :doh: I did, and I just ID'd this one as Red Pimple Fungus - Nectria cinnabarina. This shot is of one of many pimples, all growing on the top of a large fallen Oregon Ash bole. :hihi: More to come at a turtle's pace. ________:naughty:

may 10, 2008

lechtenberg park

clark county washington - native

More from the turtle's den. I have ID'd this as Field Mint - Mentha arvensis. The blooms aren't fully open and there is barely a hint of purple or blue there, but my fieldguide for Washington has nothing else remotely like this. I found it growing in a swampy area beside a creek backwater. Everyone good with the ID?

It's hard to know for sure. Are you sure it's not a nettle?

It's hard to know for sure. Are you sure it's not a nettle?

Now that you mention it, no, I am not sure it's not a nettle. :doh: I didn't think to smell it, but I'm a smoker and subtle smells often evade my olfactory lobe. :hihi: :doh: I did handle the plants however and received no irritation from that. I know where they live & I'll visit them again.

Much as I wood would have liked to go today, it is ~90F and I'm not sufficiently revived. Last night's low temperature was higher than the day before's high temperature. Our first heat-wave of the new year. :naughty:

But, staying in is allowing me to catch up on reviewing and posting some of the many photos & videos I made in the last couple trips. To whit, another fungus, which I have tentatively ID'd as:

Red Belt Fungus - Fomitopsis pinicola

growing on fallen log

may 10, 2008

lechtenberg park, clark county washington

side view:

top view: