Science Forums

Shadows of Hyperspace

Thomas

We have no evidence for these dimensions being spatial so the answer is "most likely not".

It was my understanding that acording to the big bang theory, objects move away from all other objects (stars, galaxies, ect.), so three dimentional space itself is expanding - the result of a fourth dimention. Would the red shift not possibly account for a fourth dimention?

If I have misunderstood please excuse me, I'm only a student, and compared to some others I have seen on this website, I find myself a little behind.

3 dimensional space can easily expand without the need for a 4th dimension. Like a balloon - it's 3D object and needs no 4th spatial dimension to expand. Some may argue that spacetime in our iniverse is the 3D manifestation of a fourth dimension but that is basically just a philosophical speculation.

There is ofc ourse another dimension, that of time, which is not spatial. Whether it really is a dimension is also a matter of discussion.

The red shift has nothing to do with dimensions but with the doppler shift as galaxies move faster or slower in relation to each other - the further away the higher redshift we observe, indicating that they move away at a faster speed.

About the time thing - what do you think it is exactly, can time be altered? If gravity effects the passage of time, would it be possible to create a machine capable of generating a huge amount of gravity concentrated in one spot; and then step into it somehow; after a few minutes step out to find that not a few minutes had passed, but a few years to the world outside the machine.

Is it possible that the fourth dimension is spatial - but we don't perceive it as such because of direction of cause and effect? If you imagine a 2-D universe, with 'slices' of time stacked upon one another - you would see that it is three dimensional - but so long as events only affected things 'after', or, in the case of a spatial time, 'below' the event - any being would perceive there as being two spatial dimensions, and one time.

The only reason we don't consider time to be "spatial" is that we can't move around within it (yet!). It also, by Einstein, can be bent and stretched... What's more interesting to me are those other 7 dimensions wrapped up in those Kaluza-Klein strings that everything is supposedly made up of...

When you think about it, shadows do "appear" in the 4th dimension, and if they're driven by the light of the sun, they *move* in that dimension too....

Cheers,

Buffy

I'm very much a String Theorist so I do tend to beleive in the extra 7-21 dimensions that String Theory pursue (witchever theory you take in account).

And as a mathmatician I also don't think alot of Euclidean Geometry, I think that the idea of a 4th spacial dimension and the 5th and more should be not be taken as a pondering for philosophers but a way ahead towardsthe Grand Unification Theory.

Your Thoughts? :cup:

___Aahhh the Calibei-Yau (sp) topography! Still, without Euclid such discussions do not follow. As I understand the curerent situation, the extra dimensions do constitute 'spatial' dimensions which curl in on themselves. Perhaps a better term than 'dimensions' is 'degrees of freedom'. How many degrees of freedom does an M-brane have?

___Love the membrain! :eek:

Physical higher dimensions are purely speculation. As far as I know there is no one that has reported seeing shadows from unseen objects so if they exist, they are not visble to us. Perhaps this 4D Rubik's cube might stimulate some thoughts for you on this :eek: If not it's a fun pastime anyhow, espaecially if you solved the 3 dimensional ones.

I don't beleive that we have a 4th dimension overshadowing us, with 4th dimensional beings looking down :eek: , so there would be no shadow that we could sight. However even if there was a fourdimensional object to the side of us we would not see a strange shadow on the floor but instead a normal object with a normal shadow as the visuallisation of a 4th dimensional object to us is just impossible to see, we are not trained to see higher dimensional objects - well this is what I think.

I do think that we are attached to a 4th dimensional brane, in a 5th dimensional shape - and that we are also surrounded by many tiny dimensions that shape the vibrations of strings - that is what I understand of futher spacial dimensions.

Your Thoughts? :)

When I was thinking of 4 dimensions, I wasn't picturing 4-d beings looking down on us.

I once reasoned that since 3D is made up of an infinite amount of planes, 4D must be made up of an infinite amount of spaces, I concluded this must be time, because it spans and infinite amount of single spaces,

but recently I have disagreed with the previous statements because I if time was a spacial dimention, there would be 4-d objects that exist in more than one space at a single time.

I can find no example of this, so therefore I have concluded there is no proof time being the 4th spacial dimention