Science Forums

Absence of light?

Sune

Hmmm. I believe that when we say time, we mean a thing that our mind sees, and when we look at a tree, the leafs and colours has to be processed before it reaches out central nerve system. This takes time, and though its only a small amount, we must have some kind of slowed sence of time. This makes the theori of slowing light = slowing time in our minds, as positive.

No, it does not.

What you're talking about, is the perception of time. And that has absolutely nothing to do with time, itself. Consider, for instance, the different perceptions of time a sober person, and a person whacked out on crack would have. Both, however, would still age at the same rate.

I fail to see how you can draw a parallel between slowing light and slowing time. And, unfortunately, your explanations up to this point is mere wild and baseless conjecture.

Taking a ship travelling at half the speed of light, and carrying a constant beam bouncing up and down in a tube for example. The light in the tube has to travel "Zig-Zag", thus (maybe) slowing down "time". Of course only for the person in the space ship. And the slowing comes from the fact that light is constant. So no matter how fast you travel, you will never be able to se the light slower in action (Like sitting in a car, and another car passes by, only travelling 10 km/h more than you), so time must slow down for your brain.

So, if you park a tube in a spaceship with a lightbeam bouncing zig-zag in the tube, and you let the spaceship travel to 1/2 the speed of light, you physically alter the speed at which the light bounces in the tube?

Afraid not.

Light, in a vacuum, moves at c. Always. For both the passenger in the spaceship observing the experiment, and the guy in the space station looking at the spaceship through his telescope. All that can change is the frequency the light will strike your eyeball with.

There is NO WAY to add to the speed of light.

I mean this in the kindest possible way, but your understanding of even the most basic tenets of relativity is a bit lacking. I suggest you go read up a bit - there are quite a few threads here on Hypo dealing with this particular matter.

But, shortly and sweetly, what you propose is not possible, and cannot work.

The light slowed down in this crystal, is in this case the "normal" beam of light, while the photon is the spaceship travelling. But in this case it travels "double" the speed of the other light.

No. You can't add to the speed of light. The only possible change that can come from this particular setup, is that the observed light will either be blue- or redshifted, depending on how your frame of reference is in motion relative to the frame of the spaceship.

But the speed of light in the tube you propose will be measured by each and every possible observer as exactly c.

Hm, i believe the light beam bouncing up and down is a mere way to show how the time is slowed, since, as you said, c is constant.

Yet i still have a difficult time discribing how these things works out as they look in my head. But i am sure that time is, theoreticly, bended by gravity. And as i see it, a potent gravity can bend light, and i think that, what im saying wrong, is that light is simply just a way of showing how time bend, since light is what we see (colour and so on).

So maybe it is all a way of showing it.

After i read what you write, i notice how Mallets theori, is pure rubbish. But he has still reached a surdent status with his theori, and more scientists seems to support him. It must be I that fails to explain/understand it correctly? Mallet shows something that looks more like confusing light, thus cheating time somehow.

Hi Sune,

Yet i still have a difficult time discribing how these things works out as they look in my head. But i am sure that time is, theoreticly, bended by gravity. And as i see it, a potent gravity can bend light, and i think that, what im saying wrong, is that light is simply just a way of showing how time bend, since light is what we see (colour and so on).

My avatar is a screen print of a simulated light (feedback) loop and the attached images show how the screen prints were produced. It only works in one direction.

post-3731-128210105939_thumb.jpg

post-3731-128210105942_thumb.jpg