Science Forums

I Am

Queso

I am wondering why you went in the winter, to *Santa Cruz*.

I am saying you should go to SoCal where hot girls go to the beach in January!

I am saying NorCal folks don't understand the "concept of the beach" (although you obviously do!)

Curls (both kinds!),

Buffy

I am.

anyways, i went up 1 to half moon bay, actually, in the winter because I NEEDED MY KICKS!!

its all about the kicks, buffy!

and man, theres nothing like a hot girl on the beach! i wish there were some there that day. i would have gone nuts!

ooo, my ultimate weakness.

i am sure that if this beach were a cake, it would be an icecream cake this time of year.

one that was in a freezer until it became an unbreakable ice.block.cake and you could pick it up with a spatula and fling it at the wall and listen to it shatter and make silly icing marks on the walls.

whatever happened to spiragraphs?

...whatever happened to spiragraphs?

Spirographs?! SPIROGRAPHS?!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you what happened to them. They imprinted themselves on the minds of 2 million and 17 children. 2 million grew up and forgot their childish wonder. 16 became poets and writers and the creative sort who do not have time to pursue the math that would give them the power to recreate their childish wonder.

And one child was ME. And I remembered. And I mastered math. And I fell in love with Microsoft's Excel, and it became my TOY! Bwah ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

{SOUND EFFECTS}Lightning bolts and thunder! The blast of a hundred trumpets reprising the Goldfinger Theme!{/SOUND EFFECTS}

I can give you Spirographs beyond your wildest dreams. I programmed the spirals into Excel and animated them. All we have to do is get a copy of it from me to you. How do you propose we do that? I can attach it to email.

:rolleyes: :) :) :D :) :( :)

*appears

ah. loricybin, this is your lucky day. exel is this microsoft program that consists of a graph, boxes seemingly infinate on the top and left-hand side of your screen, and it can be used for anything from spirographs (apparently) to regular graphs.

*disappears

ah, you see, i DID know what it was, i just thought i must've been wrong, as i dont get how a spirograph could fit in with this boxey contraption of program, although, now i see it could be used in calculation of angles or something like that?

Thanks, Tartan. Let me add something to that.

Lori, Excel is a program for doing a variety of things. One of those things is to enter numbers and equations into a very large two dimension array of "cells". Think of a huge sheet of graph paper, with a grid made up of vertical and horizontal lines. Each of the rectangles between the lines is a "cell".

Well, you can put lots of numbers into those cells and have another cell add them up, or compute their average. Or you can have Excel draw you a chart, a graph if you will, of any long list of numbers. It could be a chart of stock prices or the noon temperatures in London for the last year.

Or if you are a bit clever, you can put in equations that describe exactly how the old plastic Spirograph toy worked! And you can have Excel draw a chart of how the pen point must move on the paper if you selected THIS cogged wheel and THAT setting.

The best part is, in Excel you can do something that could NOT be done with the real toy. You can command Excel (with a keystroke) to continually shorten the radius of the cogged wheel, or to lengthen the setting between the wheels. The drawing of the spirograph becomes ANIMATED, and morphs smoothly and continuously from one form to any of an infinite number of other forms.

Syke -- Oh -- Dellic