Science Forums

Riddles

infamous

"The Unlisted World"

There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town's phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers? :)

William :) :)))

None

Two convicts are locked in a cell. There is an unbarred window high up in the cell. No matter if they stand on the bed or one on top of the other they can't reach the window to escape. They then decide to tunnel out. However, they give up with the tunneling because it will take too long. Finally one of the convicts figures out how to escape from the cell. What is his plan? :shrug:

Two convicts are locked in a cell. There is an unbarred window high up in the cell. No matter if they stand on the bed or one on top of the other they can't reach the window to escape. They then decide to tunnel out. However, they give up with the tunneling because it will take too long. Finally one of the convicts figures out how to escape from the cell. What is his plan? :shrug:

convict with idea on top of convict who's idea it is not and the idea-not-convict on top of the new pile of diggin's. :)

... because everyone in the phone book (where you are looking for these hundred random names) is, by definition, not unlisted.

OK, try to keep up with this one.

If you drive a number twenty five bus which is empty initially.

At Centre Point it picks up five passengers

At Tottenham Court Road it picks up another six including a heavily pregnant lady.

At Regent Street it drops off two but picks up another seven including the bus inspector.

Outside Selfridges it picks up a crowd of eighteen while three people get off.

Arriving at Marble Arch another six get off.

Down at Hyde Park Corner the inspector helps the pregnant lady off and two passengers, a doctor and a nurse, stay with her until the ambulance comes.

Finally, at Victoria station a school party of eighteen hockey players get on.

Now the question is...

How many passengers are still on the bus? and, more importantly,

What colour are the driver's socks?

OK - correctomumndo - it is easy in print.

But I tell you, it works brilliantly face to face.

You can even forget the question about how many passengers (your victim will assume that was what you were after all by themselves).

I hope you liked my little tour of Oxford Street, London.

One of my favourites for catching people out face to face (especially if their friends are also nearby) is this one ...

Everyone knows the format of the "knock - knock" joke (I hope).

So you ask your victim, "Have you heard the latest knock knock joke?"

They say no and you say "Go on, You start"

They say "Knock Knock"

You play along with "Who's There?"

Leaving it at that. - They have no reply and the look on their face is a picture. Only if they are quick witted, will they realise what you have just done to them and try to recall one of their favourites to finsih the joke and spare their embarrassment.

Ahh Happy times.