Science Forums

Riddles

infamous

Where is everybody, this place

is a ghost town ????

William :)

They drifted off because the challenges were either too obscure or (like this one) too obvious.

Bring back medium scale genuine riddles, I say.

Here's a puzzle (does that count?)

I have a 40Kg weight and a pair of balancing scales.

I drop the weight and it breaks into four pieces and I now find that I can use the pieces and the scale to weigh any whole number of Kgs from 1 to 40. How much does each piece weigh?

Eg. if one piece weighs 15 kilos and another weighs 16 then I can weigh these amounts, of course, but by putting the 15 and what I want to weigh on one side of the scale and the 16 on the other side I can verify ONE kg .

There is an interesting relationship between the weights of the four pieces too. Bonus points for that.

The Vap.

• 2 weeks later...
They drifted off because the challenges were either too obscure or (like this one) too obvious.

I drop the weight and it breaks into four pieces and I now find that I can use the pieces and the scale to weigh any whole number of Kgs from 1 to 40. How much does each piece weigh?

Eg. if one piece weighs 15 kilos and another weighs 16 then I can weigh these amounts, of course, but by putting the 15 and what I want to weigh on one side of the scale and the 16 on the other side I can verify ONE kg .

There is an interesting relationship between the weights of the four pieces too. Bonus points for that.

The Vap.

Hello Vap, I will take a guess and say the each piece weighs 10kg for a total of 40kg.

If this is not correct post us a hint okay, thanks for the riddle. I made the last riddles

simple to draw people. When my riddles were too hard they just ignored them, okay.

William :hihi:

Hello Vap, I will take a guess and say the each piece weighs 10kg for a total of 40kg.

If this is not correct post us a hint okay, thanks for the riddle. I made the last riddles

simple to draw people. When my riddles were too hard they just ignored them, okay.

William :)

Hi William,

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you. I think your riddles are fun.

OK - with 4 x 10kg weights how are you going to be able to weigh something that weighs 1 Kg.? So, either there are two of the weights that are 1Kg apart (as in my example in the question) or one of the pieces weighs 1 Kg.

You first clue is one of the pieces weighs 1Kg.

Karnie.

Hi William,

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you. I think your riddles are fun.

OK - with 4 x 10kg weights how are you going to be able to weigh something that weighs 1 Kg.? So, either there are two of the weights that are 1Kg apart (as in my example in the question) or one of the pieces weighs 1 Kg.

You first clue is one of the pieces weighs 1Kg.

Karnie.

Hey Vap and thank you for the compliment on my riddles. Your riddle is over my head,

but I know that a more intelligent member in here can solve it, so I will watch for the

answer. Hopefully more members will come back and we can have fun again solving

riddles. I am in heavy research of religion right now to know the real truth but I miss

having fun with the riddles.

Your friend,

William :wave2:

I have a 40Kg weight and a pair of balancing scales....

The Vap.

Hey Vap. :wave2:It counts, but may have a better placement & response in this long-lost thread. >> Math Riddles

The Vap.

does this scale have tables for leverage?

:)

Not a riddle but you just might like this okay

"THE LOVE THAT LASTS"

The love that you have for someone began with a thought *

Then that love grew from the love you had brought *

Things happened like you never thought they would *

But the love you both had turned everything to good *

The love grew deeper with each passing day *

You look forward to a life together come what may *

The love you both built is built on a rock *

This love went deep into your heart that nobody can unlock *

The days will come and the days will go *