Science Forums

Riddles

infamous

Damnit! You guys are riddlemasters!

How 'bout this one?

A chest without hinges, key, or lid, but inside golden treasures are hid. What is the chest and what is the treasure?

I recognize this from one of the Tolkien books (don't remember which). I won't give the answer becasue I feel like it would be cheating being I didn't figure it out myself.

I'll say the answer has 3 letters :)

-modest

Good of you Modest. :)

Here's another:

A Panda Bear walked into a resturant. He sat down at a table and ordered some food. When he was finished eating, he took out a gun and shot his waiter. He then left the resturant. After the police caught up with him, they asked him why he had killed the waiter. He replied, "Look me up in the dictionary." What did the dictionary say?

Good of you Modest. ;)

Here's another:

A Panda Bear walked into a resturant. He sat down at a table and ordered some food. When he was finished eating, he took out a gun and shot his waiter. He then left the resturant. After the police caught up with him, they asked him why he had killed the waiter. He replied, "Look me up in the dictionary." What did the dictionary say?

When they looked up the word "Panda" in the dictionary, it stated, "Panda: Eats shoots and leaves."

• 2 months later...

1-Fella stops his car at a hotel and suddenly realizes he's broke. Oddly enough - same thing happened with the horse and rider :shrug:

2-Fella gets on an elevator and goes to the 12th floor. He gets off the elevator and walks up 5 flights to floor 17 (where he lives). The elevator goes all the way up and it's not broken. :shrug: (this one is not a particularly good riddle, but requires a bit of clever, out-of-the-box thinking)

~modest

1-Fella stops his car at a hotel and suddenly realizes he's broke. Oddly enough - same thing happened with the horse and rider :shrug:

The first thing that comes to mind is that the car "broke" down and the horse and rider were "broke" (no money).

That's prolly not the answer though. :singer: I'll keep thinking on it...

2-Fella gets on an elevator and goes to the 12th floor. He gets off the elevator and walks up 5 flights to floor 17 (where he lives). The elevator goes all the way up and it's not broken. :shrug: (this one is not a particularly good riddle, but requires a bit of clever, out-of-the-box thinking)

~modest

I've heard a variation of this before (I think I even posted it earlier in this thread) so I'll give others a chance to guess.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the car "broke" down and the horse and rider were "broke" (no money).

That's prolly not the answer though. :shrug: I'll keep thinking on it...

The car didn't break down - but the guy did push it up to the hotel.

One guy pushed the car up to the hotel and realized he was broke (out of money)

The other guy did the same... except with a horse and rider.

One thing's for sure - whoever bought that hotel was either damn lucky or damn smart :shrug:

I've heard a variation of this before (I think I even posted it earlier in this thread) so I'll give others a chance to guess.

PM me if you know where, coz that would be one crazy coinkidink

~modest

Fella stops his car at a hotel and suddenly realizes he's broke. Oddly enough - same thing happened with the horse and rider :hihi:

The car didn't break down - but the guy did push it up to the hotel.

One guy pushed the car up to the hotel and realized he was broke (out of money)

The other guy did the same... except with a horse and rider.

One thing's for sure - whoever bought that hotel was either damn lucky or damn smart :alien_dance:

It's a red hotel - it was upgraded from a green house. :nahnahbooboo:

~modest

• 1 month later...
Whats the next line..

;) (no google-ing and if you have seen it, let the others have a shot first!)

After coming up with some really weird number associations using everything from addition to place manipulation, and all sorts of weird ideas, it finally hit me. ;)

My Answer:

(though it seems that there are a few other answers that would be correct as well ;))

Of course, if taken literally, the answer is 5 (or fifth line).

After coming up with some really weird number associations using everything from addition to place manipulation, and all sorts of weird ideas, it finally hit me. ;)

My Answer:

(though it seems that there are a few other answers that would be correct as well ;))

Of course, if taken literally, the answer is 5 (or fifth line).

No on both counts my man - its a doozie of a manipulation that troubled me for a long time.. keep trying :(

:confused:

Hmmm...well, what I was getting at with my first answer is that it seemed to be a sequence of primes, to which I answered 7 (adding up the digits on each line). I suppose it's much more complex that that??

Please tell me it doesn't have to do with l33tspeak. :(