Science Forums

Riddles

infamous

freeztar,

is this cat just short and can only physically reach up to the 12 button? and when its raining he uses the umbrella to skewer the 17 button?

Hey, you beat me too it! I finally figure one out and i am beaten to the point! ya snooze ya loose I guess, I gotta stay awake more! Now let see you guys deal with mine :shrug:

Hey, you beat me too it! I finally figure one out and i am beaten to the point! ya snooze ya loose I guess, I gotta stay awake more! Now let see you guys deal with mine :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontanman View Post

How about this one.

You are in a room with three gods, one is the god of truth, one is the god of lies and the other is the god of truth and lies. The god of truth only tells the truth, the god of lies only tells lies and the god of both only tells a lie or the truth at random. They can only answer in a language known only to them and they can only answer yes and no, ya and da in their language but you don't know what either word means. how can you ask them only three questions (total) to find out which one is which?

The three questions

1. To the god of truth - Are you the god of truth ?

2. To the god of lies - Are you the god of lies ?

3. To the god of truth and lies - Are you the god of truth and lies ?

Working on it ???

William

ahhh.. The next would be 312211. :shrug:

For some reason I was grouping the digits or describing them from largest to smallest. I'm not sure why I would do that verses just describing them left to right.

That's a good riddle! :naughty:

~modest

Thats it mate :shrug:

For anyone that didnt get it try reading modest's answer aloud while looking at the previous line of the riddle..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontanman View Post

How about this one.

You are in a room with three gods, one is the god of truth, one is the god of lies and the other is the god of truth and lies. The god of truth only tells the truth, the god of lies only tells lies and the god of both only tells a lie or the truth at random. They can only answer in a language known only to them and they can only answer yes and no, ya and da in their language but you don't know what either word means. how can you ask them only three questions (total) to find out which one is which?

The three questions

1. To the god of truth - Are you the god of truth ?

2. To the god of lies - Are you the god of lies ?

3. To the god of truth and lies - Are you the god of truth and lies ?

Working on it ???

William

Well since you don't know which one is which I don't think that would work but you can ask any questions you want but only three!

I'm a bit too dense and/or inebriated to answer it, apparently. I've tried several combos and have given the hints a try, to no avail. :(

First off, sorry for the LOL's. I initially misinterpreted your reply to my post. I don't want to seem like I'm making fun of your frustration with this one.

Secondly, you sir, are in no way dense, but you might be inebriated. :):hihi:

I suggest you go back over each line reading aloud so that you are clear about the numbers written.

Well since you don't know which one is which I don't think that would work but you can ask any questions you want but only three!

Moon can you ask three questions to each god and if so why could you not

ask the three questions that I listed to each god to find out which one that

they are ??

This is a very tough riddle, how bout a clue or a hint, okay

William

Moon can you ask three questions to each god and if so why could you not

ask the three questions that I listed to each god to find out which one that

they are ??

This is a very tough riddle, how bout a clue or a hint, okay

William

First you only get to ask three questions total and you don't know what the two possible answers mean, If i had a clue I'd give it to you but my son brought me this one, his professor gave it to him. Him and his buddies have been working on it for weeks. No luck so far, he was sure dad could solve it right away, At least I still shine in his eyes!

How about this one.

If I understand correctly, then this should work:

To find out what means yes and what means no, you could ask “are you the god of truth”. The answer that at least 2 of 3 give would mean “yes”. If all three answer the same then no further info is gained. If one answers differently then that one is the god of truth and lies.

Next question: are you the god of lies?

The answers will either be two yes and one no... or... two no and one yes. In the case that the previous question told us which was the god of truth and lies then this question will tell us which is the god of truth and which is the god of lies. The god of truth will answer no and the god of lies will answer yes - we have all 3. But, if the previous question didn’t answer who the god of truth and lies is then we need to deduce further. Whoever answered differently than the other 2 to this question cannot be the god of truth and lies. If a god said “no” while the other two said “yes” then that is the god of truth. If a god said “yes” while the other two said “no” then that is the god of lies. We now at the very least have the god of truth or the god of lies.

Having one of these, you now simply point to one of the two unknowns and say “is this the god of truth and lies?” If we know the god of truth then we can trust a truthful answer solving the puzzle (by getting 2 of 3). If the previous question gave us the god of lies then we can trust the answer will be false solving the rest of the puzzle.

ya/da?

~modest

EDIT: this won't work... give me a sec...

Ok, I changed it a bit (I incorrectly had the god of lies telling the truth in the previous one):

To find out what means yes and what means no, you could ask “are you the god of truth”. The answer that at least 2 of 3 give would mean “yes”. If all three answer the same then no further info is gained. If one answers differently then that one is the god of truth and lies.

Next question: are you the god of truth and lies?

The answers will either be two yes and one no... or... two no and one yes. In the case that the previous question told us which was the god of truth and lies then this question will tell us which is the god of truth and which is the god of lies. The god of truth will answer no and the god of lies will answer yes - we have all 3. But, if the previous question didn’t answer who the god of truth and lies is then we need to deduce further. Whoever answered differently than the other 2 to this question cannot be the god of truth and lies. If a god said “no” while the other two said “yes” then that is the god of truth. If a god said “yes” while the other two said “no” then that is the god of lies. We now at the very least have the god of truth or the god of lies.

If you have the god of truth then you can point to one of the two unknowns and ask “is this the god of lies?” The answer will be truthful giving us 2 of 3 and the solution.

If you have the god of lies then you can point to one of the two unknowns and ask “is this the god of truth?” The answer will be predictably false giving 2 of 3 and the solution...

~modest