Science Forums

Space Voyage #1

TheBigDog

Oh lord, JQ you too?!

I guess even I should try my hand in the graphic designers club aroung here! Oh shoot, I have my exams around the corner...

By the way, the prophesy seems a little bit farther than 'low orbit' to me... JQ, Janus is gonna sue you, better be ready with a good lawyer.

I have gathered some moon facts from this site... http://www.nineplanets.org/luna.html

The ones that I need are these...

orbit: 384,400 km from Earth

diameter: 3476 km

mass: 7.35e22 kg

We need to calculate the trip from the earth to the moon. We are currently in orbit at 400km. I was told by Jay-qu and Pyro that we will require a 3.5 hour burn at 0.1g to escape the earth. That will bive us a velocity of ... err ... I am reminded of why we have a crew of experts. :naughty:

We will be orienting the ship so that it will take a tangental course from the earth to the moon, locking onto target as we loop around toward the moon from behind the earth. If we accellerate at 0.1g for 3.5 hours, what will our transit time to the moon be?

When we arrive at the moon we are going to release 3 communication satellites into lunar orbit so that we are in constant contact with out equiment and with the earth. These will be in relativly high orbit above the moon. We will also be sending out two satellites to map the surface of the moon and return the data to the Prophesy. We will be using this data to locate specific targets on the lunar surface. We will then be sending several probes to the lunar surface, along with a two manned shuttles capable of moving between several lunar locations before returning to the Prophesy. One of the shuttles will return to the Prophesy on the same day. The other will remain on the surface with a small crew for several days of extended research.

When the first shuttle returns to the ship we will launch a orbital command post into lunar orbit. Once it has established its place in orbit the Prophesy will return to earth orbit. There we will drop off some samples and visitors along for the space trials. We will then return to the moon and collect our equipment and personel. Once everyone is back onboard we will plot out trip to mars.

So... at what altitude will we be orbiting the moon? At what altitude will our satellites be orbiting the moon? At what speed do we want to orbit the moon? Will we need to correct our speed to get to our desired altitude? Who want to be part of the extended landing party? Part of the ceremonial landing party? Stay on the orbital command post? Stay on the ship?

Remember, we have both communications satellites and surface scanning satellites. These are the same satellites that may be orbiting Mars, or Titan, or Neptune during the trip. We can also leave some satellites in permanent orbit where we choose, although we have a limited number, and most of them have limited battery life as we intend to recover them.

We are just a few orbits from breaking earth orbit and heading toward the moon. So we need to get this info entered into the computer ASAP. We do not have an earth based command post. We are entirly self sufficient.

Bill (t-11 hours)

Great animation JQ! I wish I knew how to do that stuff. But I am busy enough already....

I concur, approve and agree with that! :naughty: ;) :D

Speaking of busy... Your pilot and alien bimbo detector is down with bronchitis. On top of that, (oy!) my wife and I start moving from this house into an apartment tomorrow, and my office at work gets moved Monday in prep for the (possible) contract win. {sniff} {coff, coff} So, you guys will have to have all the fun yourselves. :evil: :hihi: :) I'm at home right now with my medicines. So find a suitable replacement for pilot.

By the way, when igniting the main engine, be SURE that the befuddling pins are alligned to better than 99.2% before pushing that green button next to the thingamajig indicator, or we will have a 30 Megaton "accident" on our hands.

Best of luck. I'm going to the Medical module for a breathing treatment, and a full-body olive oil rubdown by Desiree la'Tush, the red-headed junior medical technician. Be back in a few days.

Best of luck. I'm going to the Medical module for a breathing treatment, and a full-body olive oil rubdown by Desiree la'Tush, the red-headed junior medical technician. Be back in a few days.

Golly Pyro! You use your keyboard prettier than a $20 whore! Almost make me wish I was sick.

Get well. You are along for the ride whether you like it or not! :naughty:

Bill

I think that's Celestia. Right Jay?

TFS

Right on - Celestia is a program that models the solar system (and more) in real time 3D, (though in that animation I sped time up a little to get earth rotating) and you can just move around inside it like you are flying a spaceship :)

Right on - Celestia is a program that models the solar system (and more) in real time 3D, (though in that animation I sped time up a little to get earth rotating) and you can just move around inside it like you are flying a spaceship :)

Aaah. Interesting.

You even put the image of the prophesy into a sreenshot from it?

How much does it cost?

In any case, when the ship's gonna get into launch, it's going to be just 10 AM. Boy, I'm going to have a bright view!

Can't wait, that's only one and a half hours away!

Well I started playing with that editor again. I wipped up something that was based off of what I saw in Jay Q's picture a few pages back.

I could make this into a map very quickly and add alot of sweet details like lights.

Theres only one problem with this. There is only an up and a down. One wont be able to rotate in the ship in the game like one would in real life. You'd have to set it on zero gravity and float around to the areas.

Does anyone have the required game Half-Life?

Well blow me down. He did it!

Although I expected it to be one in which we could see from the inside.

Nevertheless, try using the cheat code 'noclip' for space like feeling.

And try Spirit of Half-Life. You can make it rotate well in that. (Although as I remember, you could make things rotate in The original Half Life also.)

I will be part of the crew to land on the moon, but just for the ceremony I will then return the Prophesy because I think I may be needed there in case of any problems :)

I have counter-strike, not half life.. and ron celestia is free, just google it :D

Yes it can rotate, but we cant get stuck to the ground, the player models only stand verticle.

I only just started. There is no insides to it yet. I wanted to make sure there was interest before getting too carried away.

I have counter-strike, not half life.. and ron celestia is free, just google it

That works. I suppose a person can download steam and purchase counter-strike via download on steam. right?

I was considering making the map kind of like the voyage start. With a launch station on the ground at earth. We all climb in and go to the ship. From that point I can copy the ship file and place it in other zones as needed.

Anyhow. Lets stay focused with the rest of the task.

Celestia is free.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Also, you can rotate things in Half-life but you can't be inside them while they're rotating, and obviously it doesn't support false gravity like Zero-G.

Too bad though, cause that would be totally FREAKING AWESOME.

I think (think think) the Unreal Engine may support something that you could use to fake it. It's like an attractor, and it basically pulls you toward it. I think you could but one either under all the floors or at the center of the ship and have a functional Centrifugal Force Gravity.

Did anyone play with that Orbital Simulator I linked earlier? It's pretty neat, you could build a model of the Prophesy in 3DS or whatever and then ACTUALLY fly it, even in accordance with the "spinning real fast" problems.

Pretty awesome. And it calculate transfer orbits for you. Hey Astrophysicists, is there a free (or cheap) program that will calculate those kinds of orbits, with launch windows and all of that, so that we can see where we might want to go and when?

TFS