Science Forums

Transmit electricity to the Earth

Just to help you ut, I'll put up some of the ideas I had seen posted.

1- Beam the energy down to earth via direct electromagnetic radiation.

2- Pack the energy in batteries and send the charged batteries down.

3- Have the energy source and reciepent connected mechanically, and use some method (like wires)

They have various merits and demerits. Go on with the search Mercedes Benzene mentioned.

I want to transmit electricty produced in space to the Earth. Is there any method to do that? Please suggest a method.

100 TeV pulsed linear accelerator. Point it groundward at a step-down transformer. Aint nobody gonna stiff you on the monthly billing. Generating station charge balance is left as an exercise for the alert reader.

100 TeV pulsed linear accelerator. Point it groundward at a step-down transformer. Aint nobody gonna stiff you on the monthly billing. Generating station charge balance is left as an exercise for the alert reader.

Exercise position assumed (taken?). Usually I hear microwaves, so a pulsed linear accelerator in space is new to me.

Commence exercising: Is it appropriate first to ask whether the linear accelerator is of the electron, proton or ion design?

Whether or not, I think if charge balance refers to the efficiency then there is little loss & anyone in the vicinity of the transformer is toast?:hihi: :eek2: :doh:

A mole of electrons is 96,500 coulombs. If you are "beaming" electricity down to the Earth, what compemsates the growing positive charge of the beamer?

A few acres of ground rectennna is insanity. Do you think the ionosphere and magnetosphere won't have a say in it? The van Allen belts? What of birds that fly through the beam? Hint: "microwave oven."

Your talking Tesla Ideology. A giant lightning bolt from the heavens... god I would hate to think what happens to the windows nearby when that first gets turned on.

The eiffel tower and similar constructs would seem ideal for collection, though perhaps we could modernize these types of architecture... I'm fairly sure I heard something about a tower of sometype, to collect power I believe it is, being built in australia.

A mole of electrons is 96,500 coulombs. If you are "beaming" electricity down to the Earth, what compemsates the growing positive charge of the beamer?

A few acres of ground rectennna is insanity. Do you think the ionosphere and magnetosphere won't have a say in it? The van Allen belts? What of birds that fly through the beam? Hint: "microwave oven."

I knew there had to be a wry element to the fry element. The ol' technically possible, but don't try this anywhere!

Electrons it will be then & I imagined a rather spectacular aurora in any case. A few acres you say? WOW:eek:

Here's the scenario: At Thanksgiving, gits will gather at the periphery of the rectenna & cast their tom turkeys with ballista across the beam while their families wait to catch them cooked in nets on the other side.:eek2:

Not to mention that any energy intercepted in space is energy that otherwise would not reach Earth. Energy is conserved; Earth will heat up.

:naughty: :evil:

Your talking Tesla Ideology. A giant lightning bolt from the heavens... god I would hate to think what happens to the windows nearby when that first gets turned on.

The eiffel tower and similar constructs would seem ideal for collection, though perhaps we could modernize these types of architecture... I'm fairly sure I heard something about a tower of sometype, to collect power I believe it is, being built in australia.

The tower you mention was one that would be very tall (~1km?) and spread out heaps at the bottom like a big canopy with a tube sticking out the top. It would be built in the desert so that the intense sunlight would heat the air in the canopy forcing it to rise up the tube. Turbines in the tube would be spun from the fast moving air to make power.

Your talking Tesla Ideology.

No, we are not. Tesla had no plans to draw power from space by any means. He planned to generate the power conventionally & then from transmitting towers, charge the entire atmosphere. Anyone wanting power anywhere simply needs a collector. No wires. At one point Tesla himself allowed it might actually set the atmosphere on fire (plasma?).:naughty: :evil:

I always regarded Tesla as a very intellectual person...

...but it seems that some of his ideas were a little far-fetched. :naughty:

On the contrary; his ideas were ahead of his time & not far-fetched. He is solely, singularly, & absolutely personally responsibe for developing the theory & apparatus of rotating magnetc fields & AC current, as well as the first radio apparatus.

As I say however he did not propose any scheme such as is the subject of this thread. Back to frying eagles & exacerbating global warming then shall we?:evil:

The major hurdle to put this idea to practice, is the fact, that all electromagnetic waves, are scattered by the atmosphere surrounding the Earth. So any transmission would be enormously wasteful and potentially dangerous for life.

I remember of having read somewhere about some efforts using of powerful LASER beams to transmit energy from the Space to Earth, but never read about it again.

The only possibility could be through nutrinos, remember they can travel deep without getting scattered!

But that is only a random thought from a thinking mind :naughty:

Actually to my understanding he did infact have a similar sceme.

The idea was to pull a lightning storm from the sky, via Ionization up to the Ionosphere, creating a path of least resistence for the current to flow to ground, which would most likely be a well grounded tower or similar to collect the power into the system.

He also is responsible for the discovery of microwave transmission, and the cellphone system is a direct result of his discovery. This has Tesla written all over it. Do I need mention the Tesla Particle beam, otherwise known as a "death ray"?

The major hurdle to put this idea to practice, is the fact, that all electromagnetic waves, are scattered by the atmosphere surrounding the Earth. So any transmission would be enormously wasteful and potentially dangerous for life.

Really? Never heard of microwave radar then?

The only possibility could be through nutrinos, remember they can travel deep without getting scattered!

Again , no. MICROWAVES

But that is only a random thought from a thinking mind :eek2:

So I gathered.

Actually to my understanding he did infact have a similar sceme.

So I hear.

Speaking of heating the ionosphere, how about that HARP project up in Alaska? What damage do you suppose they may do?:hyper: