Science Forums

Where is My Flying Car!!???

Tarantism

How Long Until We See the first Flying Cars for the Public?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How Long Until We See the first Flying Cars for the Public?

• Eight Years
    • Thirteen Years
    • Seventeen Years
    • Twenty-Four Years

hey everyone :eek2:

i remember a while back we were promised that in the near future we would see flying cars for the general public. or at least flying cars!

now, in the recent years, we have only begun to see the first functional models of flying cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_car

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4EurytPQlRw&search=flying%20car

the music to that video is ruddy rediculous!!! :eek2: :hihi:

I voted 24, but only because 'Never' wasn't an option.

Sure, we have the technology now to build them. But we have to have some sort of structure such that people won't be running into each other.

Until people can be more responsible with cars on the surface, I don't see flying cars as an option.

Hmmm, cruising along at 275 MPH.

If this is supposed to replace the automobile, just what do you do to make sure people don't crash into each other? How about buildings?

I just don't see it happening. Sure, you can build the device, and it will be a novelty for a few people, but I don't see it ever replacing the ground based automobile.

It would take more than 8 years just to figure out and implement the infrastructure (I dare you to drive one to the airport for a trip:)).

It would take more than 8 years just to figure out and implement the infrastructure (I dare you to drive one to the airport for a trip).

Oh definitely. I'm not saying that I expect an entire infrastructure to be built within 8 years, but I am willing to bet that I'll see one of these zooming overhead within that time.

I said 8 years. we have the technology. Just because people are not responsible with cars on the surface will not stop someone from making a flying car. This world is greedy, everyone is looking to get rich, and whoever pattens flying cars will be rich!

I doubt the flying car will ever be a common sight. It will most likely be too expensive to own and operate for the average person. Just look at the example of airplanes; they've been around for a century or so, and how many people own even a small private plane?

I agree, I truly do not believe that they will be a common sight in the sky. But it is a possibility. Over a hundred years ago, everyone believed that automobiles would not be a common sight on the street, because they were to expensive, and took to long to make. Next thing we know Henry Ford creates the assembly line, which greatly decreases the price of a car.

Something along those lines could possibly happen with flying cars.

I don't care about flying cars... It's the hovercrafts I'd drool about... :hihi:...

But franky, I feel that in the todays world a change of that big scale will take a great deal more time than the automobile revolution did. I mean: just see how much more complex the system has become.

I don't care about flying cars... It's the hovercrafts I'd drool about... ;)...

But franky, I feel that in the todays world a change of that big scale will take a great deal more time than the automobile revolution did. I mean: just see how much more complex the system has become.

Had to quote somebody here, so I picked you Ron.;)

Here's a couple threads from Hypography on the Flying Car scenario. Plenty of links in them too.:)

http://hypography.com/forums/watercooler/3190-personal-flying-vehicles.html?highlight=skycar

http://hypography.com/forums/computer-science/3529-skycar-2.html?highlight=skycar

Janus asked about how many people have personal aircraft & this link discusses that.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/pave_techwed_040818.html

:hihi:

I actually think skycars will take off (haha) faster than we think...

People won't need licenses for them, when they go in flying mode they'll be GPS/computer steered and navigated. Because of the sheer size of the airways available, GPS steering won't need to be accurate to the nearest foot - ten or twenty feet should do. This isn't possible for automated GPS navigation and steering for cars, seeing as they're travelling on a very narrow 2-dimensional track. One foot is critical as far as accuracy in road navigation is concerned. I think the big driving force behind skycars like Moller's would be road congestion in the next 10-15 years...

Watch this space...

I don't know, Dave - maybe the rising cost in fuel would be offset by not having to pay for hundreds of thousands of extra miles of highway to cater for the increase in vehicle traffic as China and India continues their crazy growth...

And if you thought land drivers were bad...:eek2:

I Can't wait for mid air collisions. :hihi: