Science Forums

Hyper-Fast Positive Energy Warp Drives

A new solution to the warp drive problem has been found that does not require negative energy or negative mass has been suggested in this paper by Erik W. Lentz 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2201.00652

Solitons in space-time capable of transporting time-like observers at superluminal speeds have long been tied to violations of the weak, strong, and dominant energy conditions of general relativity. This trend was recently broken by a new approach that identified soliton solutions capable of superluminal travel while being sourced by purely positive energy densities. This is the first example of hyper-fast solitons satisfying the weak energy condition, reopening the discussion of superluminal mechanisms rooted in conventional physics. This article summarizes the recent finding and its context in the literature. Remaining challenges to autonomous superluminal travel, such as the dominant energy condition, horizons, and the identification of a creation mechanism are also discussed.

16 hours ago, Moontanman said:

A new solution to the warp drive problem has been found that does not require negative energy or negative mass has been suggested in this paper by Erik W. Lentz 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2201.00652

Continue your explanation of this warp drive, I am always interested in this subject. I would like more details on it. To me stuff like this is really interesting because of its implications to colonization of the universe.

Edited by Vmedvil

8 minutes ago, Vmedvil said:

Continue your explanation of this warp drive, I am always interested in this subject. I would like more details on it. To me stuff like this is really interesting because of its implications to colonization of the universe.

I clearly gave the link to the paper, it explains itself much better than I possibly could.